Custom Search

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Isis: "I'm Happy I Made An Impact" : Interview with Popwrap

Isis-final-shot.jpg

From the minute it was announced that Isis, a transgendered 22-year-old, would be competing on this cycle of "America's Next Top Model," everyone had an opinion - no one more than her housemates. But as she tells me the day after she was eliminated from the competition, the good far outweighs the bad.

Pop Wrap: Obviously your inclusion this cycle was controversial. What kind of reactions have you gotten?
Isis: So far I've gotten all positive feedback and responses. I know I shouldn't, but I do read the blogs and there are some not-so-positive things on there, but just walking around on the street, people stop me and tell me what a great role model I am - it's nice to hear.

PW: Did you anticipate becoming a role model by being on the show?
Isis: People told me it would happen, but I just saw it as getting my foot in the door. If I went into it thinking about being a role model, it would have put a lot more pressure on me. I just thought about being myself - and winning!

PW: Why do you think Tyra said the model they casted wasn't coming through in photos?
Isis: It was mainly because the competition started to affect me. Having cameras on you 24 hours a day started to eat away at me a little bit and I was trying to stick it out but that showed up in my photos.

Isis-silver-bikini.jpg
PW: Were you aware of how much smack the girls were talking about you while you were in the house?
Isis: For the most part, those comments were made while I wasn't around. But I had talked to Clarke a lot and had no idea she was saying those things behind my back. It hurt but I just try and brush it off. I tried to stay positive in the house.

PW: And she seemed to be in the minority - you bonded with a lot of the girls, right?
Isis: Yeah. Annaleigh is sweet and yesterday alone I talked to Brittany, Sheena, Joslyn and Lauren Brie before my episode aired. I still talk to most of those girls on a regular basis.

PW: What's next for you?
Isis: I'm just crossing my fingers hoping opportunities come from this. I went to college for fashion design so I hope that takes off for me. Hopefully you'll see me on the runway, in major campaigns and on the big screen - I want to be in movies!

PW: And what about your gender reassignment surgery?
Isis: It's still something I need to do. Financially I haven't saved up more money since the show. And because I haven't been working, I've been living off my savings. But hopefully the jobs will come soon because that will make it easier to save and finally have my surgery. It's still at the top of my goals, the very top.

No comments:

Post a Comment